The Speckled Mind

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Exposing Mythology Part 1: Arriving

My high school band director was a sarcastic and cynical man. I loved him for that. The routine of high school band often caused us to take (long) trips on uncomfortable yellow buses, and the comedy routine was almost always the same en route. It would go something like this:

Student: Mr. Larson, are we there yet?! (As bus speeds along the freeway at 65 mph)

Mr. Larson: Yes, get out.

It made me laugh every time.

.........


Lately I've been guilty of an unhealthy focus on the future. "What will I be doing when I'm finally done with this?" What does God have for me out there? What will life be like at that point? Will I be well known? Will I be esteemed? What opportunities will there be?

Perhaps some of you have found yourself asking some of the same questions. They all operate under the presupposition that what I am doing now is somewhat ancillary--the goal is what's important. When I finally arrive, then I will be affirmed, respected and valued. The things that I do now are only stepping stones. The relationships I am forming are likely temporary. Once I get there things will be as they should. That will be the important thing. Once I get there, I will begin really living my life.

All of that, of course, is garbage. Not only is it a false understanding of reality, it negatively affects all aspects of the life I'm living now. What a terribly self-centered and fatalistic way to live.

After all, there really is no there. What seems like there, will always be here, because when I get there--it will still be here from that perspective and at that time. Or said much more simply, I cannot really arrive. There is no future event where I will feel like everything is firmly established and I can begin my life. Arrival is a myth--I'm calling it out. As much as the word 'journey' has been co-opted lately, I think it works. On a journey, everything along the way is of crucial importance--I need to begin viewing my life as such.

Thus, this morning's conversation with God went something like this:


Tim: God, am I there yet?! (As life speeds along at 100 mph)

God: Yes, get out.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • i can't decide if my life is going 100 mph, or if i am in a big traffic jam getting further behind with every passing minute.

    but i guess like you said i'm not getting further behind from life, cause the jam is life.

    thanks for exposing this myth.

    jam on!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:25 AM  

  • You need to write a book.

    This is the #1 myth that I fall for. My real life will start when exams are done. My real life will start when I start work in Europe. My real life will start when I graduate from law school. My real life will start when I get a judicial clerkship... then a job at a firm... then a house... then a job in-house for a corporation... then kids... etc. etc.

    I forget that NOW is real life, and that while looking forward to the future is good, too much focus on it is not.

    I also like to look back and regret... another myth. Why is it so hard to live in the now?

    Well for now my reality is studying Evidence... no wonder I want to escape.

    Take care.

    By Blogger Jess(ica), at 10:15 PM  

  • Agreed. So what is there anyway? It's basically here with a "T".

    By Blogger Jerod Lucius, at 11:34 AM  

  • How could I add to writing that good? Timmer, they need to let you preach stuff this good at church!

    By Blogger Post_Fidelitas, at 2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home