The Speckled Mind

Thursday, May 11, 2006

A Week Gone By...

I have been so lazy lately. It's pathetic really. It's not that I haven't had anything to write about...I just haven't managed to discipline myself enough to write in a witty and eloquent manner. Because I'm still not feeling particualrly witty, I'll just share in list form a few of the things on my mind this past week. This is a blog after all. I'm allowed to do that, right? Well, here goes.

1. We had our first week of softball on Sunday evening. Somehow I'm never as talented as I remember being the previous year. Curious. We took one out of two and I batted 'just ok.' If you want to see the team's stats, you can check them out here. What you won't see is my strikeout count. I have a mean underhand spinner, that leaves hitters as clueless as Johan Santana's changeup. Ok, maybe it's not quite that good, but I still struck out 5 batters over the two games.

2. I like the Twins. Even when they suck. Which they haven't lately. Kyle Lohse only gave up one run yesterday. I was surprised. Torii Hunter is on a ten game hitting streak. I like the Twins.

3. The new Snow Patrol album is tasty. Pretty standard rock album, but there's enough in there to keep it high in my playlist. Good riffs, surprisingly intelligent chord progressions and a shoutout to Sufjan Stevens.

'Put Sufjan Stevens on
and we'll play your favorite song
"Chicago" bursts to life and your
sweet smile remembers you...'

Who could ask for more. OH, and it has one of the best digital booklets iTunes has ever seen. It's like 30 pages--most of which are photos of the band in the studio. The rest of the booklet includes explanations about the creative process behind each song. I really dig that kind of stuff.

4. I'd like to continue with my series on Mythology. I have a few ideas, but I don't want to force it. I think it stifles the creative process when I force myself to write on a particular subject. For those of who that have enjoyed it so far, there will be more--I promise. For those who haven't enjoyed it--stop reading my blog and go make me a sandwich.

5. Speaking of Sufjan, I ran across this quote of his and thought it was absolutely stunning.

"On an aesthetic level, faith and art are a dangerous match. Today, they can quickly lead to devotional artifice or didactic crap. This would summarize the Christian publishing world or the Christian music industry. If you are an artist of faith (a Methodist or a Jew), then you have the responsibility to manage the principles of your faith wisely lest they be reduced to stereotype, which is patronizing to the church and to the world, and, perhaps, to God."

Any thoughts on this? Call me a bandwagoner. This guy can do little wrong in my mind.

6. I might change the look of my blog if I can figure out how to do it. I'm not what you would call "Technologically Literate." I'm hardly literate at all. If I do change the template and you like it, let me know. If not--yep, you guessed it--you can go and make me a sandwich.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • Yes Yes, hurray for the Twins even when they loose to the tigers by 20 runs.
    Hurray for the snow patrol song!
    I must admit that I don't understand what Sufjan means about faith and art. Does he consider himself an artist of faith?

    By Blogger Post_Fidelitas, at 3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home