The Speckled Mind

Thursday, June 01, 2006

A New Law

This song of Derek Webb's has been haunting me for months now. Please take a minute and read the lyrics, then watch the video. It's incredibly powerful. Ok, there's a lot more I could say about it, but I'll let others make comments first.

Don’t teach me about politics and government
Just tell me who to vote for
Don’t teach me about truth and beauty
Just label my music
Don’t teach me how to live like a free man
Just give me a new law

I don’t wanna know if the answers aren’t easy
So just bring it down from the mountain to me

I want a new law
I want a new law
Gimme that new law

Don’t teach me about moderation and liberty
I prefer a shot of grape juice
Don’t teach me about loving my enemies
Don’t teach me how to listen to the Spirit
Just give me a new law

I don’t wanna know if the answers aren’t easy
So just bring it down from the mountain to me

I want a new law
I want a new law
Gimme that new law

What’s the use in trading a law you can never keep
For one you can that cannot get you anything
Do not be afraid
Do not be afraid
Do not be afraid


Labels:

9 Comments:

  • Have you heard of Jan Krist?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:31 PM  

  • How can you say such things! I am an outrage! The newness of laws is where saran gets off. Here we find conspicuous undertones. I cannot help but fathom. Were are you doing this? Can your new law be seen from heaven? I dont think so. Needless to say you are wrong. Young soldiers will carry the war to victory whether you support it or not. I want to hear now what you have to say you moralist dogman imperialist hater contraband tertuary underdweller.

    By Blogger Bradley M, at 11:28 AM  

  • I can't tell if Bradley M. is serious or not, but I do know that his grammar makes any attempt at either satire, sarcasm, or criticism unintelligible.

    Nice video, Tim.

    By Blogger mjonthemove, at 11:51 AM  

  • mjonthemove how dare you call oneself your upon a blogger! I cannot help but understand the future of our children wiht this pretentious air. Theology is for the quick witted and cornish but you seem to be neighter of the two. My grammer stand. For ISTELF! I cry when i dont understand your motives and animals choices over vegitarian options. Lets all get better and stop fighting yestereve.

    By Blogger Bradley M, at 3:37 PM  

  • I wish "bradley m" had a publicly shared profile. I would love to check out his blog and ponder the world from his eyes.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:35 PM  

  • Brad is....how do you say...a "special" kind of person. And I do mean special.

    This has definitely been the weirdest group of comments I have EVER gotten on this blog.

    Brad, I <3 you.

    By Blogger timmer k., at 9:27 AM  

  • tim, you "Greater than 3 Me?"
    I dont know what to do with that.
    And as fer Bathroom Lou, you can visit my blog from tims main page, its linked

    By Blogger Bradley M, at 1:19 PM  

  • A nice song. One of the toughest things for Evangelicals to do is escape their fundamentalist roots. We love the one note of the law and always forget to sing the second note of the gospel.

    Side bar
    He takes a nice shot at Grape juice. In the spirit of CAMRA
    Maybe there should be a CAMRCW, Campaign for Real Communion Wine.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:19 PM  

  • soory messy link

    CAMRA

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home