The Speckled Mind

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Good Music Thursday: Volume 6

I didn't go to see them.

They were an afterthought. I had heard the name before, but never seen them play live. Never heard any of their records. A couple of my friends had mentioned the name before--friends with great musical taste, no less. But did I listen? Nooooo...

The band, ladies and gentlemen, is called Fitzgerald. Anathallo was the main event and the reason I went to the the Varsity Theatre last Sunday, but Fitzgerald was a pleasant surprise; they proved to be a lifeboat in a sea of otherwise sketchy opening bands. Fitzgerald is composed of the husband and wife duo Nathan and Mandy Tensen-Woolery...and whatever other musicians happen to be joining them on stage or in the studio. If only all high school relationships could result in the kind of beautiful music these two produce....

It's a very rare occurrence that a live show so impresses me that I run over to the merch table acting all awkward and puberty-ish. But I did with Fitzgerald. I was like, "You guys are really good and stuff." Fortunately Nathan saw that I had cash in hand and diffused the situation by putting 'Raised by Wolves' in my hand and relieving me of my $10. Then, before I could say "sweet" I was walking away. I hope it was as special for them as it was for me.

The short version: These guys are a local indie band, so all you Minneapolis-ites go see them next time they play 'round these parts. They play a great live show (check out the video). As always, if you need to see (and by see, I mean 'hear') before believing, let me help your unbelief. You can download a couple of tracks from 'Raised by Wolves' free. Also, to get more information on the band, check here.

Happy Thursday, Speckled Mind readers. And remember--life is too short to listen to bad music.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home