The Speckled Mind

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Hermeneutics Reflections: Part 1

...or 'Why I Began My Presentation With A Beer Commercial Yesterday'



Obviously the guys in this Coors Light spot were not in the room when the original press conference was taking place. But there they are--asking Dick Vermeil their questions and receiving answers just as if they had been there all along. Just as if they belonged there. Just as if the press conference was intended to answer their questions.

The problem?

Nothing if our aim is comic relief...which is, I'm assuming, what Coors was hoping for with this ad. But it's no laughing matter when a similar situation occurs in Biblical interpretation.

My contention is that this kind of phenomena happens all too often in our readings of the Bible. Each person comes to the text hoping to get something that will speak to them personally, as if that was the text's primary concern, giving no credence to the pertinent historical/cultural background. What does God have to say to me today??? Just open the Bible at random and point. Let's confess, friends. We've all done it.

But what if...

What if our questions are not the questions the text is trying to answer? What if our questions are of relatively little importance in light of the themes the text is trying to bring to light? What if the text was not written, as has been so often assumed, to us? What if, instead it was written for us.

But have we really been missing things? I mean important things in our readings of scripture? How is that even possible? I think the Coors ad answers these question well. On one level, it really seems like Dick Vermeil is answering a question about onion dip. Both he and the 'reporters' are using language about 'making something' and showing some sort of uncertainty about the whole situation. Someone who knows absolutely nothing about American football may be satisfied at this point. But how about those who have played and/or watched football frequently? I bet those people can venture a guess what the original question was about. It probably had something to do with making or not making a touchdown or field goal...and nothing to do with onion dip.

These are some of the questions I've been working through lately. I think they're very important and, despite the objections I expect this post to illicit, I don't think the implied answers make Biblical study into an elitist exercise. But it does mean the task of interpretation needs to be undertaken more seriously and with more care. I fear that if we do not begin to ask some of these hard questions about the way(s) we read the Bible we run the risk of asking questions of God's word that have little more relevance than 'Doesn't this guy's hat look awesome backwards?'

Lord have mercy on me--the chief of sinners.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • Reminds me of learning memory verses as a kid. Yeah, let's take one verse completely out of its context so kids can memorize them and impress their parents. When I have kids, I'm teaching them all the messed up verses about cooking bread over dung and throwing babies against rocks.

    By Blogger Wasp Jerky, at 11:18 AM  

  • My personal favorite:

    "Nothing like what you are saying is happening. You are just making it up out of your head."

    ~Nehemiah 6:8

    By Blogger timmer k., at 12:15 PM  

  • Good post. I just want to quickly respond to the idea that you might be making Bible study into an elitist activity.

    My own experience with a story approach to reading the Bible has shown me at least two things. One is that the questions I ask, though important, aren't necessarily the point. What I mean is I think that I might be after one thing when really it's quite another. For example in the struggle for a solid basis for faith I've found that apologetics, though helpful, is not as strong as the person of Jesus. The more I study Him the less important my pet questions become not because what I ask is unimportant but rather Jesus becomes greater. He becomes greater in His ability to challenge and answer my questions and meet the cries of my heart.

    The second thing is that reading the Bible for the over-arching themes it presents, I think, side steps the concern that study becomes an elitist practice. Here's how I think it works. I watched the movie "Crash" the other day. I can't recite to you verbatim any part of that movie, the characters names or even the plot with 100% accuracy. I can tell you the main thing though, the big story if you will. The story of that movie is impacting my life in the way I think about racism and my own prejudices. It even answers some questions for me concerning racism and what people mean when they say we're all racist. So in thinking about the themes of the movie I can still be changed and impacted and even take on a new story. I think the Bible does the same thing to us at every level of interaction, whether that be casual reading or intense study. Of course it's much more than this if not simply for the fact that we're meeting the living God through it. The point is that there need not be a concern for the layperson here. Will the layperosn get it perfectly? No. Will NT Wright get it perfectly? No. Just some thoughts.

    By Blogger Jerod Lucius, at 4:28 PM  

  • Tim...I'm gonna take it easy on your blog for now. It's a bit preachy...buuuuuut you're a "pastor" so I'll let it slide. You're a music pastor though, so I'd be much more apt to be cordial if you blogged everything by putting into a Psalms format.

    Anyways...can I swear here? Just curious. I swear quite often on Brad's blog.

    Next, I would like to say I agree with Jerod. Jerod, you're a pretty smart fella...and when I say that, what I mean to say is that we think alike, so you kick ass.

    Lastly, I was wondering, since you use big, fancy, "I go to seminary" words like Brad, could you please use language like that when you write your next blog on the subjects covered in Deut. 23:12-13? Thanks.

    Love,
    Zach

    By Blogger Zachman, at 4:21 AM  

  • Zach...that comment was somewhere between (as you said) 'kick ass' and 'dumbass' with serious leanings toward toward the latter. If you're going to be an ass of any kind, I'd shoot for 'smartass' if I were you. Oh, and you're free to swear on my blog--but only if it has a purpose. Even the apostle Paul found it necessary to swear now and again, I see no reason to deprive others of the same privilege.

    Oh, and I don't know that I'll comment on that Deuteronomy passage. I try to keep my blog shit free...and by that, I don't necessarily mean you shouldn't comment here.

    Nothing but love, Zach.

    Love and Butterflies

    ~The Management

    By Blogger timmer k., at 9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home