The Speckled Mind

Monday, November 05, 2007

Get Your Free Music Fix

I often get asked the question, "Where did you hear about this band?"

In response, I usually recommend a couple of free podcasts which I find to be informative. NPR's, "All Songs Considered" is one of these. Although a bit snobbish, they usually do a pretty good job of scouring the indie rock world and finding bands worthy of airplay. Another is The Current's "Song of the Day" podcast. Probably my favorite free podcast is the "Paste Magazine Culture Club"--the informative, hard-working and creative editorial staff at Paste Magazine never fail to unearth talented artists from the depths of obscurity.

The Paste podcast has a print counterpart that is even more brilliant. Paste Magazine is consistently relevant, savvy and well-written. As an added bonus, every issue comes with a companion CD containing a 12-15 tracks from emerging artists. Quite frankly, Rolling Stone doesn't hold a candle to these guys. And, though I've always liked the magazine, I never bothered to subscribe. What can I say, even 20 bucks a year seems like a lot while you're in school and on a tight budget.

But, dear friends, all of that changed today. Why, you ask? Well, it seems that the good folks at Paste took a card from Radiohead's play book. That's right. You can name your price for a year's subscription to Paste. What is a gateway to some of the best music in the world worth to you? It's your decision. One way or another, I highly HIGHLY recommend that you take advantage of this offer while it lasts. I honestly can't believe they are doing this.

********

In other news--and I've mentioned this before--another great way to keep up on good music is to regularly visit Peter Carlson's blog. Why you ask? Well, for one, he puts a lot of free music up on his blog. And, more importantly, he's always one step ahead of me. Or, in this case five days ahead of me...

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • Thanks for the plug! And enjoy your Paste mag, it's a great investment!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home