The Speckled Mind

Monday, February 25, 2008

Surprised by Hope: An Introduction

Hello, Friends.

To my memory, I have never made an explicit book recommendation on this blog--117 entries, according to blogger, and not once have I suggested some light reading for those of you who love/tolerate the (far too infrequent) posts in this little corner of cyberspace.

All of that is changing today.

N.T. Wright's new book, Surprised By Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection and the Mission of the Church, should be required reading for all those who submit to the Lordship of Jesus--and all of those who have dismissed Christianity because of the apparent disconnect between the teachings of its leader and the actions of his followers.

For those who may be turned off by heady works of academic theology, fear not. This book is written at a popular level so that academic and parishioner alike can rejoice together in the wisdom it contains. No elitism here.

I will be discussing this book in some detail in the coming days on this blog, and I would love to have others join in the conversation. Note--you are welcome and encouraged to discuss regardless of whether or not you've read the book. But I am confident you will all benefit deeply from reading.

I'll beg if I have to, but hopefully it won't come to that.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • So glad to see your emphatic recommendation of what I believe to be the most important book to come out in a very long time. Just thought you might be interested that I'm almost done with a chapter-by-chapter review of the book at my site. Perhaps you'd find it handy in your own review series, which I look forward to.

    Grace and Peace,
    Raffi Shahinian

    By Blogger Raffi Shahinian, at 9:22 PM  

  • This book will be one of the most important gifts to the church for years to come.

    By Blogger Joe, at 2:20 PM  

  • Agreed with Joe. I too think this is a long time needed, and maybe his most importantly pastorally applicable (if not just most important in general) book yet.

    By Blogger Aaron, at 9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home