The Speckled Mind

Thursday, July 03, 2008

I Think I Love My Wife's Football Team

Ah, football season. You bring me so much anticipation of joy. And, as a career Vikings fan, you never fail to bring me bitter, bitter disappointment. Examples of the disappointment abound. There was the season that the Vikings started 6-0 and then missed the playoffs. Or the year that their sizzling offense was shut out 42-0 in the playoffs against a mediocre Giants team. And who could forget the debacle against the Falcons in the 1999 playoffs?

My commitment to the 'hometown' team has waxed and waned in the midst of these pratfalls. Some, my wife included, have applied the label, "bandwagon" to such tepid loyalty. And as a contrast, she has remained unwaveringly steadfast and faithful to her team through thick and thin. Like many other Packer fans, she will bleed green and gold until someone pries the myriad of Green Bay Superbowl wins from her cold, dead fingers. Even through the emotional roller coaster of Brett Favre's retirement, she remained steadfast. Granted, there was a period of mourning--3-4 months, if my memory serves me correctly. But she has ultimately moved to the 'acceptance' stage of grief and has prepared herself emotionally for the advent of the Aaron Rodgers era of Packer football.

But then a bomb was dropped yesterday. Perhaps I should let her speak for herself. This is an email that she sent to all of her Packer fan friends yesterday (edit: she sent this BEFORE Brett Favre's text message denying that he would return):

Subject Line: OMG

Hey friends,

Although it is completely hearsay, I have so many mixed feelings. ESPN speculated (let me repeat, speculated) about a denial from Green Bay and a Vikings team that would welcome Favre with open arms. Tim was giddy at that possibility! Although I can hardly blame him, I told him that might be really bad for our marriage.
What do you think? Are you excited, crying, unmoved, or just mad?

Jess

P.S. Is it just me, or is Brett Favre just like a stereotypical bad boyfriend? You love him, he breaks your heart, he leaves, then he calls saying he misses you.....hmmmm. I seriously don't know if I can take this all summer.


Now, granted, this email is dripping with sarcasm (and wit, I might add). But I think it illustrates rather well the differences in loyalty schemes between a Packer fan and a Viking fan. And, so does this (start listening at about the 2:45 mark).

So, what do you think, blog-reading faithful? Can our marriage survive Brett Favre in a Vikings uniform? I'd like to think it can. But, of course, I'm far more optimistic about the prospects of our marriage than I am about my football team.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • I think that if Brett unretired anywhere other than Green Bay, he would lose a lot of respect from all football fans. It would be like Barry Sanders coming back for the Cowboys.

    If he does unretire, I am going to call it an elaborate media ploy, that he knew he was never going to retire, but wanted to see the hoopla of it and bring that many more people the Green Bay bandwagon.

    on a side note...I know that there A LOT of true Packers fans, but when I moved to So. Wisc in 1990, there was no talk of the Pack until they started winning a few years later....it was their fair-weatheredness that turned me from the Pack.

    By Blogger Victoria, at 12:46 PM  

  • This is how I see things working out if Favre ever becomes a Viking:

    First, he has his eyes burned out and is led around by a nose ring every halftime for the entertainment. But then one game, he asks a waterboy to lean him against one of the main supports of the metrodome, and he uses his super-human strength to knock it over, collapsing the dome in a last great act of sacrifice. He then becomes an aura, much like Anakin Skywalker at the end of Episode VI, and keeps John Madden company when he calls games at Lambeau.

    This is based on my lifetime spent as a Vikings fan and seeing Murphy's law being manifest year after year.

    By Blogger Topher, at 2:46 AM  

  • The thought of Favre as a Viking disgusts me. I'm a Viking fan and know he would help, but it just seems sick and wrong. In a big rivalry I grow to dislike not just the rival franchise, but ajavascript:void(0)
    Publish Your Commentlso the players.
    erno

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home