The Speckled Mind

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Identical or Fraternal?


They play TONIGHT. That's right, your Minnesota Twins open the season this evening at 6:15 against the Blue Jays. And now, a short list of reasons why I am hopeful that this season will end with the Twins in the playoffs:

1. Pitching Staff: Johann Santana is the best starter in the game, and Joe Nathan is amongst the best closers. Pitching has never been the problem for the Twins, and this year looks to be much the same--consistent starting pitching, with solid relief and an untouchable closer.

2. Young Talent: Jason Kubel is back this year from his knee injury. He posted impressive numbers in the preseason. Justin Morneau is also looking like a much better player than he was last year. Joe Mauer is the definition of consistency. I look for him to bat .300+ with 20 homers this season.

3. Something to Play For: Last night, our legislators took the first step toward showing the Twins a bit of support. I'll keep my fingers crossed as the proposal goes to the senate taxes committee.

I mean, sure there are some unknowns at this point. Will Tony Batista hit home runs or strike out with more frequency? Will Torii Hunter return to his All Star status as a hitter and not just a fielder? Will the Twins actually score some runs this year? I think so. I hope so.

The great part about baseball is that it is a marathon, not a sprint. I'm in it for the long haul. I hope you are too.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • I like cold play alot more now in light of that kingdom song. Here's some of the lyrics to the Rocky Votolato song. Its a bit more jaded than I remembered, but it still seems rather hopeful.

    On the outside looking in
    I've never been able to crack the code
    To break the secret spell
    That would open up the door and let me in
    To everything I've been looking for so hard I've never seen
    But I feel my strength returning tonight
    Its flowing from the purest well to ever give water
    Out into an ocean where the sharks are circling
    a carnival of counterfeits has no room for something real

    So I'll open up the door and let you in
    I want to break the alabaster smell the sweet perfume
    And when the bottle is broken I'll have nothing left to give
    I know I'll already have everything worth having.

    By Blogger Post_Fidelitas, at 5:55 PM  

  • I really like the Twins chances this year, but why more importantly...

    I'D REALLY LIKE MY PINT!!!!!

    By Blogger stevetreichler, at 10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home