The Speckled Mind

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Wildlife gone...wild?

I saw this guy today.

And how do I know it was a 'guy', you ask? Quite simple. I'm fairly confident that a female panda would have more discretion than to spread its legs and scratch its genitals for eight straight minutes.

Seriously.

Not that we should blame the panda. I'm pretty sure he was just doing it to spite the guy who had been pounding on the glass for ten minutes, trying to rouse the enormous animal. I could just just hear that inner monologue--"You're tired of me just laying around? You want me to do something? I've got your 'something' right here."

We also saw this, front and center as we passed the turtle exhibit. Some reptiles have no shame. Seriously.

So, all in all it was a good day for a biology lesson....complete with the inevitable question, "What is that turtle doing to that other turtle, Daddy."

...and the inevitable, "They're just playing a little game, sweetheart" response. It was funny.

Oh, and we also saw a lioness eat grass for about ten minutes, and then dry heave for about five minutes. You think it's gross when your cat coughs up a hairball. We could hear her majesty hawking it up from half a mile away.

The Smithsonian National Zoo is only 10 blocks from our apartment, so we'll definitely have to spend some more time there later. Who knows what we'll see next time...

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • that got my Sunday off to a good start.

    By Blogger Joe, at 6:31 AM  

  • So, really, what is that turtle doing to the other one? I need somebody to explain this to me.

    By Blogger Topher, at 12:01 AM  

  • Hey Chris. Let me clear this up for you. The turtle on top in that picture had a temporary identity crisis and, thinking it was a frog, began to play a game of leap-frog with an unwilling participant. The turtle soon realized that this game was hardly appropriate for an animal of its girth and gave up the enterprise.

    No one was hurt.

    By Blogger timmer k., at 11:52 AM  

  • OOOOHHH, that explains it!! I thought he was having 'relations'

    By Blogger stevetreichler, at 6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home