The Speckled Mind

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What's A Month Between Friends?

As promised, German is finished and I am officially back in the saddle. Unfortunately, the horse is blind and shaped like the letter "U". Oh well, you get what you pay for, I guess. Coincidentally, today's blog is also brought to you by the letter "U". Weird...

I digress...

There really is no better way to get back into the blogging groove than with one of my patented Bits and Pieces episodes. So, for better or worse, here's what I've done/learned in the past month:

1. One of the greatest epidemics facing America today is mumbling. Mumblers can be found just about anywhere, and you can certainly find them at Ebenezer's. A word to the wise--if you insist on mumbling while placing your order, and I respond by asking you to repeat what you just said, IT MEANS I WANT YOU TO ANNUNCIATE THE SECOND TIME YOU SPEAK. Mumbling a second time will only result in me asking what you just said a second time. We could repeat this little game ad nauseum--I really do have all day--or you could put in a little effort and stop placing your order like a primate. Just a suggestion...

-and I'm just getting warmed up!-

2. The German language is crazy. And not the good kind of crazy either. Oh, German, why must your words have 32 letters? Who came up with verbs that have separable prefixes? Why must you place the verb at the very end of the sentence? And, for that matter, why must you write sentences so long they would make Charles Dickens blush?

3. 2008 has been a good hear for music so far. Death Cab for Cutie, Tapes 'n' Tapes, Sigur Ros and Coldplay all have spectacular new albums, and those are just the big names. A host of other, more obscure bands have made my ears very happy this year--amongst them are: Amber Rubarth, Liam Finn, Headlights and Ghost in the Water.

4. Jess and I like visitors. A lot. Have you come to visit us in DC yet? If not, you are running out of time! ACT NOW!! THIS OFFER CAN'T LAST FOREVER!

5. The best movie I've seen in a long time: Lars and the Real Girl. If you haven't seen it yet, put it to the top of your Netflix queue. You won't be sorry. Hopefully I'll get to post something more extensive about this excellent film in the near future.

6. Movie to skip: Prince Caspian. The film version of the C.S. Lewis's excellent book is flaccid from start to finish. It boggles my mind why the director would have departed so much from the book and created motifs that are alien to Lewis's original story telling.

7. I had the privilege of attending Tim Russert's wake last week; Jess and I met his son and wife while we were there. So incredibly sad... He was one of the good guys in a world filled with blathering pundits. NBC won't be the same without him--he was the best in the business and an irreplaceable voice of reason amid the white noise.

8. Has anyone else noticed that the Twins are only 1 1/2 games out of first place? They're far exceeding my expectations for the year. I can't wait until they open the new stadium in 2010.

9. Speaking of sports, I'm happy for Kevin Garnett. It was good to see him get the monkey off his back; though he was well compensated while in the Twin Cities, dealing with Kevin McHale on a daily basis is its own special kind of hell. Congrats, Big Ticket.

10. (HT: Jessica Banti) Be sure to read this excellent and scathing op-ed piece by Thomas Friedman of the NY Times about the insanity of the Bush administration's current energy policy.

11. I confess that I have been regularly listening to NPR's "This American Life" lately. I'm officially an elitist. God have mercy on me...

12. Two of my favorite people came together in one place last week. Click here to see N.T. Wright's appearance on the Colbert Report.

Well, I best be getting to bed. I'm sure there's more to be said, but it will have to wait another day.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Are my eyes playing tricks on me? I don't know if I can really believe your back yet. You have cried wolf before. Ok, my thoughts on your thoughts...

    3. Kinda surprised you like Sigur Ros and Coldplay. But happy you do.

    10. What's HT mean? Normally I would read over that, but it's right before my name. :P Also, great op-ed. I love Friedman. If you really want to be depressed, read Confessions of an Economic Hit Man. Actually, even if you don't want to be depressed, you need to read this book. It's your duty as a citizen of the world. I'm pushing it on everyone I know. It's a compelling read - pretty quick too.

    12. Seen the NT Wright/Colbert exchange twice now. So fun!

    By Blogger Jess(ica), at 9:41 AM  

  • I hate you Tim, you tease me all the time with this blog!

    I'm sorry...I didn't mean it...don't ever leave me.


    did you get my last e-mail?

    By Blogger Jerod Lucius, at 12:30 AM  

  • i also did not understand the HT.

    2. did you not check out woot when i fb'd you? i can't remember what was on there, but i bet you would have had something say.

    c. are you and jess planning on being in minneapolis anytime around august 23?

    greek: there was something else but i forget. happy not-friday day! grrr.

    -R

    By Blogger Bekah's Cloth Bums, at 12:46 AM  

  • oh yes.

    GO WHITE SOX! :o)

    By Blogger Bekah's Cloth Bums, at 12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home